National Overseas Scholarship, it is an initiative by the central government of India to ensure that all the students can get education as they wish for. The initiative ensures the reimbursement of fees and scholarships to ensure that students can continue their education overseas without any burden. In respect to it all, this article has been prepared to provide complete information about the Nos Scholarship, including the objectives, features, documents required, eligibility criteria, application status, and much more. So, anyone who is interested in availing of the benefits offered by the government through the scholarships, they can read this article to know more.
National Overseas Scholarship- About
National Overseas Scholarship, it has been launched by the government to facilitate students having a low family income. Within the scholarship, the students who belong to the categories of scheduled castes, semi-nomadic tribes, denotified nomadic, traditional artisans, and landless agricultural laborers are offered financial assistance for completing their higher education. The scheme is expected to improve the social and economic status of the concerned students.
Every single year, there are in total 100 scholarships offered under the scholarship scheme, and it is all subject to the funds’ availability. The students, they by means of these scholarships, receive the assistance to pursue abroad, their master and Ph.D. courses in varied institution and universities accredited by country’s government/authorized bodies. Amidst it all, 30% of awards, it has been reserved for women candidates.
NOS Scholarship 1st list- 2021-22
- The NOS scholarship portal, it is expected to open for the time period between 1st September- 15th October 2021.
- Interested and eligible candidates, they can make the request by making online applications submission using the portal.
- Candidates are also advised to get through the guidelines of the scheme before they make their application submission.
- Under this scheme, assistance is provided to some selected candidates so that they can pursue abroad their masters-level course and also Ph.D. at the accredited institutions/universities that have been recognized by the country’s authorized bodies in a given field of study.
National Overseas Scholarship- Key Highlights
- The name of the scholarship is the National Overseas Scholarship.
- The scheme has been launched by the Indian government.
- The beneficiaries under the scheme are Indian students.
- The objective of this scheme is to offer the scholarship.
- The scheme has been launched in 2021.
- The official website link for the National Overseas Scholarship portal is- www.nosmsje.gov.in/Default.aspx
National Overseas Scholarship- Objectives
- The major objective of this scheme is to offer the students financial assistance to pursue education abroad.
- Through the scholarship, incentives are offered for covering the tuition fees and other expenses incurred during the study.
- With the scholarship offered, students wouldn’t be required to worry about the increased financial burden which comes along with studying abroad. This is why the government of India is helping the students finance education using this scholarship scheme.
- In total, 100 scholarships are offered, and students with low family income can make an application for the scholarship.
- Students belonging to Schedule castes, semi-nomadic tribes, scheduled castes, traditional artisans, and agricultural laborers categories can get the assistance.
- The scheme aims to improve the social and economic status of students and help them pursue a Master’s or Ph.D. abroad (anyone who already acquired their degree cannot get benefits under the scheme).
- 30% scholarship award is reserved for women. However, if there is no eligible women candidate, the award under the unutilized slots, it gets automatically transferred to the male candidates.
- Bachelor level course pursuing students, they cannot get scheme benefits.
Slot Distribution- Category-wise
- 90 scholarships for Scheduled caste.
- 04 scholarships for nomadic, denotified, and semi-nomadic tribes.
- 04 scholarships for landless agricultural laborers and the traditional artisans.
National Overseas Scholarship- Important Points
- In the case in a given year, there exists non-availability of the successful candidates as per a given listed category; in such a situation, the award gets available for the candidates from other categories for the given year.
- Candidates already pursuing studies abroad are ineligible for making the application.
- For candidates with a conditional offer of admission in the top 1000-ranked universities/institutes, according to the latest QS ranking available, then candidates get selected for the scholarship/grant during 1st three rounds conducted amidst the total of 4 rounds.
- In the 4th round, the selection priority will be as follows,
- Candidates with an unconditional admission offer letter from the 1000-QS ranking institution during the 4th cycle.
- Candidates with the unconditional admission offer letter from any recognized institution in their previous/current cycle.
- Candidates who made the submission of proof for making an application to the recognized institution in a given cycle.
- In case there exist any financial situation mentioned in the admission offer letter, including fee deposit or another amount, in such case, it will not be the bar for application consideration.
Application Procedure- Instructions
- Scheme gets advertised using social media and newspapers.
- Portal accepts applications every year from April for 30 days.
- Online applications only will be considered for the scholarship award in the selection’s 1st cycle.
- In case slots are unfulfilled after selection 1st cycle, the portal would open every quarter for 30 days till the slots are full.
- Incomplete applications- it will be rejected.
National Overseas Scholarship- Selection Procedure
- Candidates with unconditional admission offer from top 1000 ranked university/institution (foreign) would be considered first.
- No request for institution/university change will be entertained.
- According to the latest foreign university/institution, the QS ranking merit list for the eligible candidates will get drawn for every selection cycle. It is as per merit order that the scholarship will get awarded. Candidates with an offer letter from the high-rank institution/university would be ranked higher within the merit list.
- In case of a tie between the QS ranking of any two or more candidates, the merit position is decided on the marks that have been obtained in the previous qualifying examination.
- After selections 3rd cycle, if the sufficient candidates are not selected, then for the 4th cycle, candidates with conditional admission offer or have already applied but not secured admission yet within the university/institute (even if not in top 1000 QS ranking), they will become eligible for the scholarship award.
- All online applications are placed in front of the selection/screening committee to get the recommendation for ranking and selection marked.
- Candidates with secured admission in the foreign institution/university, they will get the provisional award of the scholarship letter.
- Candidates who haven’t yet secured admission to a foreign institution/university will be issued a provisional assurance letter.
- Under the scholarship scheme, candidates who received the award, they will have to join the course within three years, and in case they fail, the award would be canceled.
- Provisional assurance would be valid for one year only.
- Candidates with provisional assurance will be required to get an unconditional admission offer in one year. If they fail, the assurance will remain canceled automatically. No extension would be entertained.
National Overseas Scholarship- Indian Mission role
- Indian Mission is responsible for making payments for the maintenance allowance, tuition fees, and other allowance.
- If the awardee of the scholarship isn’t able to complete the course within the time, and it gets certified by the department head that the candidate doesn’t lack any commitment/dedication for studies, in such case, the ministry would exempt them from the defaulter’s penalty clause.
- They will provide the Indian return airfare passage through the shortest of the route in the economic class.
- In case if students plan to stay abroad more than one month after they have completed the course, they would be asked to finance their own return cost to India. They wouldn’t be entitled to the return passage book refund.
- Awardee’s return journey is immediately booked by Indian mission after the course completion.
National Overseas Scholarship- Monitoring
- An annual progress report would be obtained by the Indian mission from the institution/university wherein the awardee pursues their studies.
- If a situation arises wherein the decision is required for award continuation, the mission is responsible for informing the ministry in regards to such development.
- The mission would advise awardees for putting efforts into improving achievements.
- Maintenance allowance payment is linked to the progress report furnishing. 1st-semester maintenance allowance is paid in advance to the awardee. For the rest, it is paid upon the satisfactory progress report receipt of awardees.
- To monitor and implement such a system, the portal will get developed, and the program monitoring unit would get set up. A budget allocation of 1.5% will be used for meeting administrative expenses. It would include the technical experts’ engagement, module development of the portal, organizing meetings, travelling, etc., or other essential expenditures that would be required to implement, evaluate and improve the scheme.
National Overseas Scholarship
|Assistance Type||United States of America/other countries (except UK)||United Kingdom|
|Maintenance allowance (Annual)||$15400||9900 British pound|
|Contingency allowance||$1500||1100 British pound|
|Fees for tuition||As charged- actual amount||As charged- actual amount|
|Visa fees||Visa fees in INR (Actual amount)||Visa fees in INR (Actual amount)|
|Premium for Medical insurance||As charged- actual amount||As charged- actual amount|
|Equipment allowance and Incidental journey allowance||$20 for each or equivalent INR||$20 for each or equivalent INR|
|Poll tax||As charged- actual amount||As charged- actual amount|
|Air passage||India- Educational institution nearest place and then return ticket to India by economy class covering shortest route as arranged by the national carrier||India- Educational institution nearest place and then return ticket to India by economy class covering shortest route as arranged by the national carrier|
- Contingency allowance- It will be allowed for books, travelling costs, workshop, study tour, etc., and also the university/institution charged fees including amenity fees, student service fee, exams fee, etc. Fee for learning languages, including English, before the course is joined, it wouldn’t be funded within the scheme.
- The prescribed allowance can be supplemented by awardees if they undertake the teaching assistantship or the research.
- Scholarship also covers 2nd or the coach railway fare (from disembarking port to study place and then back).
National Overseas Scholarship- Eligibility criteria
- Permanent resident of India.
- The applicant’s age should be 35 years or less.
- Candidate must have got 60% or the equivalent grade in their qualifying exams (for PHD, its masters and for masters, its bachelors).
- The annual family income of the applicant shouldn’t be more than INR 8 lakhs. For determining the income of the family, parents of the candidate and their siblings below 18 years, their spouse and children (below 18), if women is married then in-laws income together with spouse and children income (below 18), are all considered.
- Two children in 1 family can receive benefits from the scheme. Students will have to submit self-certification.
- Scholarship awardee, they cannot be considered 2nd time for the award.
National Overseas Scholarship- Documents required
- Aadhar card
- Age proof
- Bank account details
- Caste certificate
- Qualifying examination marksheet
- Income certificate
- Mobile number
- Passport size photograph
- Ration card
- Residence proof
National Overseas Scholarship- Application Procedure
- Visit the official portal of Nos scholarship registration (www.nosmsje.gov.in/Default.aspx).
- From the home page, click on the option login/register.
- Then click on the option register yourself.
- A registration form will appear on the screen. Herein provide name, email id, mobile number, and other relevant details.
- Ensure to upload all the documents required and click on register.
- Once done, click on the option login.
- Therein enter the user id and password along with the captcha code.
- Once done, click on sign in.
- Then click on the option apply under National Overseas scholarship. An application form will appear on the screen. Make sure to fill in the required and correct details.
- Then upload all the documents asked and click on the option submit.
- With this simple procedure, one would be able to do the Nos scholarship registration.
Application Status- Procedure to view
- Visit the official portal of Nos scholarship (www.nosmsje.gov.in/Default.aspx).
- From the homepage, click on the option application status.
- A new page will appear wherein fill-up the application reference number.
- Once done, click on the option view, and the application status will be provided on the screen.
National Overseas Scholarship- Procedure to view the result
- Visit the official portal of Nos scholarship (www.nosmsje.gov.in/Default.aspx ) and on the homepage clock on the option result of NOS for the selection year (choose accordingly).
- A PDF will open.
- Herein one can view the result of the Nos scholarship.
National Overseas Scholarship- How To Log In To The Portal?
- Visit the official portal of Nos scholarship (www.nosmsje.gov.in/Default.aspx).
- On the homepage, click on the option login/register.
- A login page will open. Herein provide the user id and password along with the captcha code.
- Once done, click on the option login to simply log in to the portal.
Contact Details- How to view it?
- Visit the official portal of Nos scholarship (www.nosmsje.gov.in/Default.aspx).
- From the home page, click on the option contact details.
- A new page will appear, wherein one will be able to view contact details.
Nos Scholarship- Mandatory Conditions
- Candidates who acquired their qualification- masters/PhD, they cannot get the benefit.
- No objection certificate from employer to be provided by employed candidates to the ministry.
- Serving organization rules concerning administrative matters, they are to be resolved by the candidate.
- Candidates need to get an appropriate visa for the country they wish/intend to study.
- Applicants are required to submit the undertaking that will allow their university to share information with the Indian mission abroad.
- All required documents are to be submitted, and information is to be furnished by the candidate.
- Candidates, after availing of the scholarship award, they are required to return back to India.
- If a candidate can obtain employment, they can stay in that country for around two years without receiving any financial support.
- Due to certain exigencies at home, if the candidate is to come back to India, they would be permitted for such return for some time, but they need to inform Indian mission and educational institution too. Expenses of the journey will be borne by the candidate.
- Students cannot change the course of study/research after the sanctioning of scholarships.
- Candidates would be required to complete formalities and procedures under the National Overseas Scholarship scheme for getting the scholarship.
- If the candidate gets awarded by an Indian mission abroad with an overpayment, they would be required to refund the amount in excess.
- For a married candidate who makes the decision to take their spouse, children along with them, then the financial expenses of them will be the candidate’s responsibility.
- The candidate selected will be required for executing the bond on the non-judicial stamp paper in front of the notary public and two surety, who would execute the surety bond totally and completely separate for the amount in actuality that is to be spent by the Indian government on the candidate or INR 50,000, whichever is more in the case.
- The surety bond here specifies and also covers the expenditure estimated in Indian rupees, which would be incurred during the study course.
National Overseas Scholarship- Award duration
- Master’s degree- 3 years
- PHD- 4 years
- The stay extension is considered without any kind of financial assistance except Indian return using air passage.
- The stay is only allowed in case the recommended competent authority within the university/institution and the Indian mission abroad recommend it.
- Stay will be allowed only and only if the same is essential for the facilitation of candidates for the completion of a given course. Considering the final decision, it is totally on the Government of India.
National Overseas Scholarship- Default
- In case the student studying abroad makes any violation of the terms and conditions, and the university/institution provides information about it to Indian mission abroad, the adverse report on studies/candidate’s conduct will make the given candidate a defaulter.
- The candidate, in such cases, will be liable for a refund of the entire amount that has been spending on their studies abroad with the interest of 12% per annum.
- In case the Awardee fails to do so within six months from the date of demand of refund, a [email protected] 2.5% (higher than normal ROI) over the outstanding amount would be charged.
- The awardee’s failure to repay the amount will bring into the picture his sureties with executed bond. They would become liable for paying the entire amount in that case.
- If one still fails in doing so, the concerned district collector would be responsible for realizing such scholarship amount as a part of the arrear of the land revenue.
False Information Furnished
- If any false information is furnished, candidates will get debarred from the scholarship award.
- Action would be taken for recovering the amount, and it will be recovered together with the compound interest of 15%.
- The candidate would be blacklisted for future references too.
- If the candidate is already employed, then they will be to face the departmental action for such act wherein the Indian government would be taking the matter up with the employer.
- Employer herein would be asked to go through the application contents of the employee before they provide them the NOC.
Is the National Overseas Scholarship available for graduation courses?
No. the scheme doesn’t provide scholarships for the graduation courses.
In what main subjects/streams is a scholarship provided?
Eligible candidates can make the application in any study stream.
What is the minimum marks required for the National Overseas Scholarship?
60% marks is required to be obtained by the candidate in order to avail of the scholarship. Even in the case of CFPA, the marks equivalent, it should be at least 60%.
What is the scholarship duration?
For a master’s degree minimum of 3 years is covered, and for a Ph.D. course minimum of 4 years is covered.
How can the candidate get the visa?
The candidate can approach the embassy for the visa. For the USA, a J1 visa will only be accepted. The Indian government doesn’t provide any assistance to the candidate to obtain the visa.